The ‘Lodge’ is located about 30 miles north of Thomson’s Falls and about the same distance west of Rumuruti, near the town of Marmanet, in a high elevation section of the Laikipia District of Kenya. The Laikipia District is located to the north west of snow-capped Mount Kenya, in Kenya’s Rift Valley Province. It neighbors Samburu District to the North, Isiolo and Meru to the East and Baringo to the West. The Laikipia plains stretch from the Great Rift Valley to the magnificent escarpments and descend into Kenya’s wild Northern rangelands. The plains are physically diverse and scenically spectacular, covered by open grasslands, basalt hills, lonely kopjes and dense cedar forests, fed by the Ewaso Nyiro and Ewaso Narok rivers.
Thomson’s Falls lies almost exactly on the equator. The Falls were discovered in 1883 by Joseph Thomson, a Scottish geologist and naturalist. The Ewaso Narok River drops a sheer 243 feet over a ledge of volcanic rock, to create these magnificent falls.
The ‘Lodge’ sits on Charles Henleys’ private ranch of approximately 850 acres, at an elevation of about 8100′. Design by Dr. Henley to be a hunting lodge, it is two story, 3500 sq. ft, sleeps 10 – 12 guests, and has a magnificent second level balcony that overlooks a water hole below.